We’re looking for an experienced Scala Developer to join our growing Engineering team in Manchester.
We write functional, test driven Scala in a cross functional team. We pride ourselves on owning the whole stack, so while we primarily write Scala code, we also get our hands dirty when it comes to building our infrastructure and CI pipelines (following both infra and pipelines as code principles).
Our Tech Stack:
- Scala, Python
- Http4s, Circe, Cats, Cats-Effect, Doobie, Alpakka
- Specs2 & ScalaCheck
- Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm
- Prometheus, Grafana
- AWS Services (Kinesis, SQS, SES, DynamoDB, EKS, RDS (Postgres), Cognito)
- Gitlab CI
How we work:
- We don’t have a hierarchical structure or ivory tower architects, we all collaborate on all aspects of design and implementation.
- We work with an agile ethos, all work is focused on the smallest effort to deliver the greatest customer value.
- Everything is tested, everything is automated. All our services have comprehensive test suites (we use TDD) but everything is then tested with exhaustive acceptance tests, performance tests and production tests.
- We embrace Continuous Delivery, therefore every commit gets fully tested and is automatically deployed to production without any manual approval or intervention.
What we offer:
- A direct influence on how we create our products.
- A team of people who work collaboratively and at a good pace.
- A company that has its heart in the right place and a welcoming work culture.
- A chance to work with a standout and disruptive product, with a modern tech stack.
- A competitive salary ranging from £55,000-£70,000, strictly depending on experience.
- Core working hours that are flexible to life outside of work.
- A central location that's easy to commute to.
- One day per month as an "Own Day" where you get to work on a novel project of your choosing.
- Flexibility to work from home on a weekly basis.
- 2 mental wellbeing days.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays.
- A dynamic working office where you can shut out the world with your headphones on or revel in the cosy co-working spaces.
Note: This role will primarily be based in our Manchester office however due to the current circumstances, all our staff are temporarily working from home.
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing functional, test driven Scala in close collaboration with our front-end developers and business stakeholders.
- Working with our data scientists to build out their internal tooling and enable them to improve our product.
- As our cross functional developer, you’ll be helping design and build our app that has served over 1 million candidates to date in over 45 countries around the world.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong software development skills; proficiency in Scala or another functional language
- Experience working with Agile, TDD and CI/CD
- Experience with Kubernetes or AWS Services is helpful
- Willingness to get involved in any part of the software lifecycle as needed, whether it be writing Scala code, designing and building our infrastructure or setting up our monitoring and alerting tools
- A good communicator, can articulate technical aspects to non-technical team members
- Someone who genuinely enjoys working as part of a team in a collaborative way, is prepared to listen to others and doesn’t shy away from taking ownership
At Arctic Shores, giving people a fair chance is what we do, that's why we take equal opportunities seriously. We welcome people of any background, gender identification, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, ability-level, age, size, marital status, style or music taste!