We’re looking for an experienced Senior Scala Developer to join our growing Engineering team in Manchester.
We write functional, test driven Scala within a cross functional team consisting of web developers, python developers, UI & UX designers, BA and a product owner. We own our whole stack, so while we primarily write in Scala we all get involved in building our infrastructure and CI pipelines (following infra as code and pipelines as code principles).
Our Tech Stack:
- Scala, Python
- Http4s, Circe, Cats, Cats-Effect, Doobie, Alpakka
- Specs2 & ScalaCheck
- Terraform, Kubernetes, Helm
- Prometheus, Grafana
- AWS Services (Kinesis, SQS, SES, DynamoDB, EKS, RDS (Postgres), Cognito)
How we work:
- We don’t have a hierarchical structure or ivory tower architects, we all collaborate on all aspects of design and implementation.
- We work with an agile ethos, all work is focused on the smallest effort to deliver the greatest customer value.
- Everything is tested, everything is automated. All our services have comprehensive test suites (we use TDD) but everything is then fully tested with comprehensive acceptance tests.
- Everything is driven by pipelines, we deploy to production via CI and are working towards full continuous delivery.
What we offer:
- A direct influence on how we create our products.
- A team of people who work collaboratively and at a good pace.
- A company that has its heart in the right place and a welcoming work culture.
- A chance to work with a standout and disruptive product, with a modern tech stack.
- A competitive salary ranging from £55,000-£70,000, strictly depending on experience.
- Core working hours that are flexible to life outside of work.
- A central location that's easy to commute to.
- One day per month as an "Own Day" where you get to work on a novel project of your choosing.
- Flexibility to work from home on a weekly basis.
- 2 mental wellbeing days.
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays.
- A dynamic working office where you can shut out the world with your headphones on or revel in the cosy co-working spaces.
What you’ll be doing:
- Writing functional, test driven Scala in close collaboration with our Front-end developers, Business Analyst and Product Owner.
- Working with our data scientists to build out their internal tooling and enable them to improve our product.
- As our cross functional developer, you’ll be helping design and build our app that has served over 1 million candidates to date in over 45 countries around the world.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong software development skills; proficiency in Scala or another functional language
- Experience working with Agile, TDD and CI/CD
- Experience with Kubernetes or AWS Services is helpful
- Willingness to get involved in any part of the software lifecycle as needed, whether it be writing Scala code, designing and building our infrastructure or setting up our monitoring and alerting
- A good communicator, the ability to articulate technical aspects to non-technical team members
- Someone who genuinely enjoys working as part of a team in a collaborative way, is prepared to listen to others and takes ownership.
At Arctic Shores, we've come together from 13 different countries and all walks of life. We welcome people of all backgrounds, gender identification, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, ability-level, age, size, marital status, style or music taste!