Who we are:
Arctic Shores is a global provider of game-based assessments that deliver meaningful, job-relevant insights about people. Our company’s mission is to help employers make better people choices and help people make better career choices.
To this end, our diverse and talented product team includes game developers, server developers, psychologists, data scientists and graphic artists who design and develop our game-based assessments and collect and analyse data about the actions and decisions a player makes during the assessment.
You’ll be joining a high-growth and creative business that is expected to double in size over the next year. Arctic Shores has a highly engaged team who are passionate about what they do as well as the impact they can make.
In this role, you will be forming an integral part of the DataHub Team, where you will be innovating our internet facing web application and platform.
You will also be responsible for leading the DataHub Team from within, whilst working closely with the Head of Product Management, App Developers, Scientists and Co-Founders, to ensure the best customer experience for all of Arctic Shores clients and candidates.
Typically, you will be involved in the following types of activities:
- Implementing new functionality as optimising a query on the PostgreSQL database, and from integrating with the 3rd party REST APIs to updating a psychometric calculation using scientific libraries
- Hands-on high-level software development, including pure Python design and development, and Django development.
- Working closely with the CTO and Head of Product Management on the status of projects and the team (including hiring and mentoring new members)
- Liaising with Product Owners to manage expectations and ensure the delivery of high-quality features
- Maintaining existing and defining new development standards/best practices and ensuring they are upheld
- Provide technical support for our internal team and (sometimes) external clients with occasional out of hours support
- Ensuring that the team adheres to agreed coding principles (testing, code review, refactoring etc.)
- Source control with Git
- HTML, CSS, and jQuery development
- Strong software development skills; you are proficient in writing pure Python or Scala code as well as working with the Django web framework
- Experience leading/mentoring and working collaboratively within a disciplinary team
- Working knowledge of relational databases
- A focus on writing clean, reliable code, that is fit for purpose
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to solve complex problems in innovative ways
- An eye for detail, the ability to identify bottlenecks and bugs, and collaboratively devise solutions to these problems
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
- Right to work in the UK
Nice to Have:
- Linux system knowledge and experience managing Linux servers
- Experience in leading an Agile team
- An understanding of Agile Software Development
- Experience with scientific Python libraries such as pandas, numpy, matplotlib and networkx
- Hands-on experience in building and expanding distributed, highly-available, secure, and scalable web applications and microservices
- Exposure to MongoDB and other NoSQL databases
- A collaborative, supportive and fun work culture
- "Hackathons" where we hack collectively on a project
- Regular games night and other social events
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- A workplace pension scheme
- Flexible working
- One day per month as an "Own Day"; where we each get to work on a novel work-related project of your choosing!
- Benefits of working at WeWork in Manchester! Including free breakfast on Mondays, onsite barista and bar, and weekly social and networking events
If we sound like the kind of place you’d like to work, apply below or get in touch with Jodie, she's our Senior Talent Partner at Jodie.Haywood@arcticshores.com.