Who we are:
Arctic Shores is a global provider of game-based assessments that deliver meaningful, job-relevant insights about people. Our company’s mission is to help employers make better people choices and help people make better career choices.
To this end, our diverse and talented product team includes game developers, server developers, psychologists, data scientists and graphic artists who design and develop our game-based assessments and collect and analyse data about the actions and decisions a player makes during the assessment.
Arctic Shores is looking for senior engineers to help us build our globally distributed massively scalable systems that will handle all our internet traffic and serve as the backbone of our machine learning analytics environments.
At Arctic Shores we process large amounts of data from the behavioural assessments we develop and then put it all through our analytics engines to derive insights into personality traits and behaviours.
Our team of research psychologists are at the cutting edge of what is possible and are always looking to push the envelope. We believe technology will underpin everything we do in future and are looking to hire strong engineers to help us develop the platforms that will integrate our continually growing game data with the behavioural models our psychologists are developing - all at scale!
Here is what you need to know about us in a nutshell:
- We make heavy use of AWS, Kubernetes and Scala
- We use functional programming techniques for both application code and infrastructure code. Specifically Cats, fs2, http4s, ScalaCheck and specs2 amongst other
- We do not have specialists here. There are no developers, architects and dev ops at Arctic Shores -everybody is an engineer and expected to understand all aspects of building solid production systems at scale
- We believe in automation first - nothing is rolled out here unless it is fully automated
- We believe in egoless programming - everybody is an equal and we value learning from and helping each other. We enjoy solving hard problems but we recognise we cannot do so as individuals.
If this sounds like the kind of place you would want to work at have a look at what we would expect from you:
- You are bright, motivated and really passionate about building good software. You really care about what you do during your work hours.
- You have a good engineering mindset - you know how to build robust scalable software systems and are not afraid to design and build systems from scratch
- You are proficient in Scala and familiar with functional programming techniques. You understand why Scala is not just Java on steroids!
- You understand AWS services in detail and how they can help you engineer systems that are globally available, can scale to very large workloads and are fault tolerant and secure
- You have developed depth and breadth in your technical knowledge - you can move from building RESTful services to architecting low level network features to configuring security to implementing fully automated CI pipelines
- You genuinely enjoy working as part of a team and respect your colleagues. You are prepared to listen but you are also happy to take the initiative and demonstrate by example
Still interested? Here is what we can offer you in return:
- A collaborative, supportive and fun work culture
- "Hackathons" where we hack collectively on a project
- Regular games night and other social events
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays
- A workplace pension scheme
- Flexible working hours
- One day per month as an "Own Day"; where we each get to work on a novel work-related project of your choosing!
- Benefits of working at WeWork in Manchester! Including free breakfast on Mondays, onsite barista and bar, and weekly social and networking events
If we sound like the kind of place you’d like to work, apply below or get in touch with Jodie, she's our Senior Talent Partner at Jodie.Haywood@arcticshores.com.